Wave brings people together through virtual entertainment. Our shows enable artists and audiences to collaborate in the creation of the most interactive live performance experiences in the world. Waves are live, interactive and immersive shows that are unlike any virtual concert you have ever experienced. We combine the best of live music, gaming and broadcast technology to transform the live music experience. Waves are live streamed globally on wave.watch and across popular social and gaming platforms including YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, TikTok, Facebook and Roblox.
As a Principal artist at Wave, you will establish standards, bring the team’s attention to best practices, and ensure quality of execution is consistently high.
You will work closely with Production, Leads, and Directors with planning; establishing or improving pipelines, identifying potential roadblocks and highlighting any tech or support needed for success across the company and for multiple initiatives and projects.
Due to the fast-paced startup environment at Wave, priorities can often change, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Create content and visuals that set the tone and standard for the team both creativity as well as in technical execution
- Own and support visual initiatives across multiple teams and areas of art development. With a focus on environment creation - Modular construction, asset pipelines, and rendering styles
- Provide visual direction and executional guidance for content creation - creative problem solving and have the technical know-how to find answers to development challenges.
- Document best practices and a comfort level with mentoring, creating videos and general teaching of specific crafts, techniques, tools or processes as it relates to environment art.
- Work closely with the Engineering, and Tech art teams to develop new workflows or improve upon existing tools and technologies to streamline efficiency.
- Efficiently communicate initiatives and processes to both the content teams and to leadership
- Excellent Demo reel / portfolio of past work
- Fluent understanding of foundational Art skills. Understanding of composition, form, color theory and light
- Self-motivated, independent, and has proven ability to self-manage and meet deadlines.
- Takes Direction Well, Comfortable giving clear concise direction
- Passion to improve and learn new skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Mastery of industry standard 3D software; Max, Maya, Substance, Photoshop, Zbushh, Houdini, etc. Experience with a range of software suites, and ability to assess new software and tools
- Strong Understanding of the UE4 shadergraph, camera, VFX, and lighting tools
- Mobile or VR Environmental art development experience in addition to PC development experience
- Excellent understanding of Physically Based Rendering systems
- 1+ shipped AAA title in a Principal Artist position
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce)
- Strong understanding of modular workflows as it relates to architectural assembly and asset creation.
- Experience with both rapid prototyping and shipping highly polished experiences
- Keeps up to date on new tech and industry trends
- Musician/Music lover
- Passion for live events
- Experience developing musically reactive visuals
Salary Range: $120,000 - $180,000**
**Salaries at Wave are based on a few factors including a candidate's location (to account for any cost of living differences), their experience level and their performance during the interview process. On top of a cash salary we also include company equity in the form of stock options with every full time offer as well as other benefits (insurance, 401k, unlimited PTO, laptop/desktop and other IT equipment as needed, subsidized monthly home internet, etc). Salary ranges at Wave are determined based on the job requirements, experience level and market data attained from compensation surveys.