The Black Tux
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
The Black Tux is reinventing formal wear so people can show up at their best on the days that matter most. We design and manufacture modern rental suits and tuxedos that actually fit—made of 100% wool, ordered online, and delivered for free.
As a Staff Accountant on the Finance team you will support the day to day accounting function, prepare account reconciliations and journal entries for month end close, track all movements in inventory accounts, assist with actual vs. plan variance analysis, and assist with compliance reporting. This position will report to the Assistant Controller and will also work closely with the Senior Accountants. We are looking for individuals who thrive in a fast-paced startup environment, solving interesting problems and yet still maintain a great work/life balance.
What You’ll Do
- Prepare month end close account reconciliations and journal entries relating but not limited to cash reconciliations, inventory, settlement receivables, asset and liability deposit accounts, revenue, and operating expenses
- Assist with monthly operations actual vs. plan variance analysis and related accrual journal entries
- Monitor and track all movement in inventory accounts including preparing monthly inventory reconciliations, prepare month end inventory accruals, and work closely with Supply Chain and AP to process inventory payments (three-way match)
- Perform ad-hoc reconciliations and analysis related to customer sales, sales tax, expense variance analysis, etc.
- Prepare compliance forms related property tax, sales tax, business licenses, franchise taxes, etc.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and documentation of new process workflows related to inventory, accounts payable, and internal controls
- Assist with gathering and/or preparing requests from third parties relating to financial statement audits, sales tax audits, etc.
Who You Are
- 2+ years of general accounting and/or public accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize various responsibilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- Experience working with inventory, preferred but not required
- Worked in a startup environment, preferred but not required
- Experience with Dynamics 365 Business Central or other accounting ERP systems, preferred but not required
Benefits and Perks of Working at The Black Tux
- We pay people equally and based on market compensation data
- We provide a 401(k) plan through Betterment
- Equity in the company with employee stock options to have a stake in the company
- Our Health, dental and vision plans are competitive, and we cover 100% of employee coverage and 50% of dependents
- Open vacation time
- Monthly cell phone reimbursement
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- TBT Women’s Group
- TBT Diversity and Inclusion Group
- Apple equipment or whatever you need to be productive
- Monthly employee events and trainings
- Free suit rentals
The Staff Accountant role is remote.
The base salary for this position will be between $70,000 - $80,000 but the actual compensation may vary based on the candidate’s skills, qualifications, and location. The Black Tux defines compensation plans using market data aligned with comparable companies at a similar stage and size as ours.
This position also qualifies incentive based compensation which may include a performance based bonus and/or incentive stock options. The Black Tux also offers unlimited PTO on top of generous company holidays, including a winter break at the end of each year.
Our people are the most important asset to us. Our benefits, perks, pay and culture reflect this in every decision we make. If you want to learn more about us, check out our Culture Book.
We're an equal opportunity employer to all. We interview and hire applicants of all backgrounds, orientations, expressions, and identities.
Notice to California Job Applicants disclosed here.
See more open positions at The Black Tux
Something looks off?