Senior Software Engineering Manager, Constellation Planning and Operations
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Software Engineering Senior Manager within the Constellation Planning and Operations group in Spire, you will be responsible for working with other leaders in the organization to establish the long-term vision and planning for software projects with time horizons of a year or more. You will lead grooming and scrum meetings, be responsible for delivery of software features and products, and have personnel responsibilities for career development and growth for your team. You will help mentor junior engineers and work with senior engineers to develop their skills and career progression, all with the goal of improving the software tools for operation of Spire’s satellite constellation and data movements within Spire’s comms network stack, including the development of satellite and ground station software.
As a Software Engineering Senior Manager:
- You will drive the development and execution of the roadmap across application development, testing, deployment, and operations.
- You will interface with other ICs and engineering managers internally, the product function, our technical program managers, and others. You’ll develop elegant technical solutions to customer needs together with your team of developers distributed between the US and Europe.
- You will make sure the technical vision of the team is aligned with business priorities and implemented on time and of quality. This includes supporting the bottom-up ideation, creation, and curation of technical proposals that is core to Spire’s culture.
- Lastly, but most importantly, you’ll be responsible for making sure that the people on your team experience personal growth and amazing achievements.
You will have responsibility to plan and implement systems and tools that improve the efficiency of the satellite fleet. Some specific areas include:
- Lead the team in development of systems for management of ground stations, satellites, and constellation operations.
- Guide the development of software for higher-level layers of the comms network stack.
- Build applications for visualizing and analyzing satellite telemetry.
- Build tools for monitoring/alerting on ground station and satellite status and controlling satellite operations.
- Drive the development and execution of the roadmap across application development, testing, deployment, and operations.
Candidates should have experience implementing systems using Python including integrating with a diverse set of datastores and cloud services. You will interface with the satellite operations, ground stations, communications and satellite design teams to adapt user needs into system requirements and have the experience to run the resultant projects independently.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Intrinsic interest in developing people and helping them deliver at their full potential.
- Computer science degree or equivalent work experience.
- Git or similar distributed source control tools.
- 2+ years’ experience leading a software team.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Alignment with our core values: global, reliable, unbounded, faster, relentless, collaborative.
- Desire to operate autonomously.
- Desire to achieve mastery in your domain.
- Comfortable with iterating and re-evaluating projects and plans as needs evolve.
- Experience delivering projects on time and of quality.
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Familiarity with multiple agile software development methods.
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools such as GitHub Actions.
- Familiarity with data backends like S3, RDS, Postgres, Redis, and Elasticsearch.
- Familiarity with infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform, Ansible, and Kubernetes.
Spire operates a hybrid work model and this position will require you to work a minimum of 3 days onsite in our SF office.
Access to US export controlled software and/or technology may be required.
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $145,000 to $190,000. Final base salary for this role will be based on the location, skills, experience and qualifications. In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for annual equity awards and our employee benefits program, including vacation, sick, and personal time off; optional medical, dental, vision, life, and disability coverage; a 401(K) plan; health and wellness reimbursement program; and participation in Spire’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. #LI-DC1
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.