Mechanical Test Technician
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Mechanical Test Technician, you will be responsible for testing the mechanical systems and payloads for our next-generation nano-satellites. You will work on a variety of satellite missions, and will be intimately involved in test equipment design, satellite assembly, and mechanical environmental testing.
The role will include environmental testing (thermal, vibration, vacuum), load testing and functional testing of mechanisms, subsystems, and satellites. The ideal candidate will be able to work effectively as part of a fast-paced multidisciplinary team to achieve a common goal. They will have a hands-on, collaborative approach to problem solving, ensuring that projects are delivered on time with a critical attention to detail.
Scope of the role:
- Environmental testing of subsystems and full satellites (Vibration, Thermal, Vacuum)
- Testing of structural, thermal, and thermoelastic load cases on components and mechanisms
- Mechanical design of test jigs and fixtures
- Preparation of detailed system documentation
- Prototype testing of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems
- Qualification of satellite subsystems and full satellites
- Assisting other team members from multiple disciplines achieve their goals
- Faultfinding and diagnosis of test equipment
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Degree/HNC/HND in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent course or work experience
- Experience as a Test Technician or Engineer within aerospace or high tech industry
- Minimum 2yr experience in a similar role
- Experience with environmental testing equipment
- Experience with static load testing equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Solidworks CAD experience
- Mechanical design experience
- Electronics theory (communication interfaces, PCB layout principles)
- Basic software skills (C, python, scripting)
Please note that our application process includes a challenge. Our motto is 'show me the data,' so if you make it to the challenge round, you'll have time to give us your best work on a problem that lets you put your skills on display or showcase your existing portfolio.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Something looks off?