Facilities Operations Manager
Cambridge, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2023
About Pickle Robot
Do you want to get in on the ground floor of a fast-growing VC-backed robotic automation company that's helping to fuel the rapid rise in eCommerce? Join Pickle Robot! We're a diverse team building robots that pick (get it?), sort, and stack boxes.
As the Facilities Operations Manager, you will join a high-energy, dynamic, and rapidly scaling company at a critical time. You’ll be responsible for our brand new facility that serves as the home of Pickle’s inventory, machining, manufacturing, and testing operations. Your primary duty will be managing our warehouse space: receiving deliveries, managing inventory, ensuring the orderliness of shared areas, complying with safety and environmental requirements, and coordinating across departments to manage scheduled activities. Some cross-functional scheduled activities will include, but are not limited to, testing, engineering and product demonstrations, and manufacturing. This is a hands-on position that, when done well, will contribute to the success of nearly every person and group at Pickle.
The role, reporting to the Director of Finance & Operations will start out as an individual contributor role. As the company grows in size and complexity there will be the possibility of specializing in one aspect of the job (like facilities or inventory) and/or growing a team of direct reports.
- You will be the site owner - this means you’ll be developing and enforcing our onsite policies and procedures as well as being the primary point of contact with the landlord and contractors as well as developing and enforcing policies and procedures. Requests to expand or change layouts will go through you. Responsibility for the organization, cleanliness, safeness, and has-what-it-needs-to-get-the-job-done-ness are yours
- Receiving & Shipping - you will be the primary contact for receiving inventory and shipping out parts and robots. On the inbound side this means coordinating and accepting deliveries, verifying contents, and distributing items. On the outbound side you’ll be the on site contact for ensuring everything is ready to go and gets properly loaded on the outbound trucks
- Inventory - part of your job will involve inventory management. With direction and consultation, you’ll help move goods from receiving, through an inbound QC process, to inventory put-away as well as performing regular cycle counts, inventory cleanup, and participating in process improvement projects
- Closely coordinate with co-workers in Supply Chain, Operations, Manufacturing, Testing, and Deployment
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills - you’ll be dealing with internal and external stakeholders such as 3rd party vendors, engineers, fabricators, accountants, delivery drivers, contract manufacturers, etc
- Attention to detail - we deal with tight deadlines, many interdependent processes, and expensive machinery.
- Operate with a sense of urgency – move quickly with precision
- Be flexible. As a startup, plans can quickly change (despite our best laid plans) and we need to adjust as quickly and positively as we can.
- Strong documentation and process building skills, especially around inventory and QC responsibilities.
- Organization and time management skills including ability to cope with fluctuating workloads.
- A general interest in technology and robotics
- Willingness to look for creative solutions to problems and comfort delivering an answer that may include saying no or escalating to the appropriate teams
- Ability to work with spreadsheets and other inventory control programs we currently have and a willingness to learn new ones
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted
- At least a High-School Diploma, GED, or equivalent
- 2 or more years working full time in a variety of jobs in a warehouse, manufacturing, or similar environment with increasing levels of responsibility
- 1 or more years of experience with shipping and receiving
- Great to have an interest in basic mechanical or electrical problems (Are you a tinkerer?)
- A Massachusetts Hoist Operator License or a willingness to acquire one within one month of hire (Pickle can pay for your training)