Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Paperless Post is seeking a talented individual to join the Infrastructure team and contribute to the technical foundation of the business. In this role, you’ll build tools to manage infrastructure and solve operational problems. You'll modularize, reuse, and version control your infrastructure as code. You know when to use the latest technologies and when to automate but still value uptime, performance, and stability. You follow best practices but iterate over your projects quickly and smartly.
We want to continue building on our Kubernetes-based platform by extending its capabilities to support more modern architectures and workflows, all in service of providing the best experience possible for our customers.
What you’ll do here
- Build and work with Kubernetes clusters - and all the related tooling!
- Create and maintain internal tools and services, with developers as end users
- Build infrastructure as code - we are big fans of Terraform and use it extensively
- Troubleshoot production and systems issues across the breadth of our tech stack
- Architect and build major components of our platform; projects such as, re-imagining our logging pipeline, building out smart auto-scaling capabilities for our apps to utilize, etc
- Maintain a variety of existing systems across our AWS infrastructure
- Contribute your expertise in collaborating with developers to drive important workflow improvements for our org
- Become our team’s subject matter expert within the various domains that your projects touch
- Participate in on-call rotation and have a strong desire to make on-call better for everyone
What you should bring to the table
- Willingness to learn and explore a wide variety of systems - members of our team must frequently dive into unfamiliar codebases and work with them
- Proven ability to architect a solution to a problem based on a minimal set of constraints and organizational needs, and drive it through implementation and release
- Ability to execute effectively as the primary individual contributor on a project
- Collaboration skills - we pair with other Infra team members or developers from outside the team if the project calls for it
- Experience orchestrating infrastructure using Terraform, CloudFormation, or other similar tooling
- Experience with a modern container-based cloud application environment(Kubernetes, Lambda, etc)
- Understanding that applications are not "production-ready” unless they're instrumented and monitored
- AWS experience, especially around IAM and EC2 (among many other systems!)
- Postgres/RDS specific database administration knowledge
- Strong system fundamentals - Linux/sysadmin chops, networking knowledge, etc
Some of the tech we use:
- Our apps run on Kubernetes
- We are primarily on AWS, though we do use a small assortment of other providers
- Our primary datastores are PostgreSQL, Redis, and MongoDB
- We utilize OpenTelemetry, Prometheus, Graphite, and more systems to aid in system observability
- Our CI/CD pipelines are primarily driven by CircleCI and ArgoCD
Company-wide, we enjoy an amazing ecosystem of an even gender split and a balance of engineers and designers. Because Paperless Post isn't supported by ad revenue, we can focus our efforts on creating and improving on the ideal version of our platform, product, content, and partnerships for our users.
We are proud that Paperless Post has helped over 175 million people globally connect in the real world since our inception. Paperless Post exists to help all people celebrate all the moments that matter to them. We believe that having a team reflective of the diverse world around us empowers us to create a product that serves everyone. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer individuals, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
The compensation range for this role is $145,000 - 170,000 USD.
At Paperless Post, compensation is based on a number of factors, including geographic location, job-related skills, years of experience, and internal team banding. All full-time offer packages come with a base salary, equity component, and options for fully paid medical, dental, and vision benefits. The range posted here is based on the NYC market and may vary based on candidate location.