Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
A World-Changing Company
Palantir builds the world’s leading software for data-driven decisions and operations. By bringing the right data to the people who need it, our platforms empower our partners to develop lifesaving drugs, forecast supply chain disruptions, locate missing children, and more.
As the Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer, you will be a key partner to leadership and work cross functionally with product, business and finance leaders. You will analyze cloud usage, optimize cost, and ensure best in class support for our developers and product teams. Your analytical experience combine disparate data source and distill trends from our cloud vendor data will be used in a complex infrastructure footprint. You will provide cost and usage monitoring, recommendations, and advice to help maintain cloud infrastructure in optimal configuration from a budgetary perspective.
Teams throughout Palantir will consult with and rely on you to help guide planning and decision-making for wide range of topics. You are a problem solver who loves gathering information from various sources, analyzing and presenting your recommendations to technical teams, business partners, and Palantir leadership. You feel comfortable working in a data-rich and dynamic environment, putting various pieces of the puzzle together to create a coherent picture. This position will offer an exciting work environment, multi-functional exposure, and a chance to create an impact on Palantir’s infrastructure, bottom line, and customer satisfaction by driving analysis, processes, deployments, and cost optimization.
- Partnering with infrastructure, engineering, product and business leaders to understand current cloud consumption patterns and producing a cloud cost and demand forecast
- Collaborate with Engineering Teams and Cloud providers (AWS, GCP, and Azure) on the delivery of capacity, new products, and capabilities
- Partner with internal Finance teams as well as teams outside of Finance (Core Internal Operations, Business Development, Product Development) to guide strategy and decision-making
- Create engineering awareness and drive behavior change to make significant cost and efficiency improvements across the organization
- Monitoring, understanding and reporting on cloud spend
- Use software tools to provide data visualization, and gather direct feedback from the respective engineering teams; create cloud services usage dashboards
- Reviewing cloud utilization and making recommendations on Reserved Instance strategy, utilization, optimization opportunities, and product architectural recommendations
- Minimize cloud costs by taking advantage of various discount programs (e.g. Reserved Instances, Committed Use Discounts, etc.)
- Be the main point of contact for our cloud providers and maintain current knowledge of relevant cloud optimization, regulations, policies, and procedures
What We Value
- While a background in infrastructure is preferred, a background in “cloud infrastructure” is not required
- Extensive experience with large and complex cloud environments and knowledge of cost components/drivers
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and changing environment and independently identify, analyze, and resolve ambiguous issues
What We Require
- Degree in Data Science, Finance, Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Business or other quantitative fields
- Expertise in Python and SQL
- USG Clearance is strongly preferred in order to assist with classified workflows
- Experience with BI tools, SQL queries, and organizing data
Our benefits aim to promote health and wellbeing across all areas of Palantirians’ lives. We work to continuously improve our offerings and listen to our community as we design and update them. The list below details our available benefits and some of the perks that can be enjoyed as an employee of Palantir Technologies.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life and disability coverage
- Paid leave for new parents and emergency back-up care for all parents
- Family planning support, including fertility, adoption, and surrogacy assistance
- Stipend to help with expenses that come with a new child
- Commuter benefits
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited paid time off
- 2 weeks paid time off built into the end of each year
The estimated salary range for this position is estimated to be $93,000 - $160,000/year. Total compensation for this position may also include Restricted Stock units, sign-on bonus and other potential future incentives. Further note that total compensation for this position will be determined by each individual’s relevant qualifications, work experience, skills, and other factors. This estimate excludes the value of any potential sign-on bonus; the value of any benefits offered; and the potential future value of any long-term incentives.
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the positing is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster, EEO poster supplement and Pay Transparency Notice for additional information.
See more open positions at Palantir
Something looks off?