Software Engineer - Python Developer Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2023
A World-Changing Company
Palantir builds the world’s leading software for data-driven decisions and operations. By bringing the right data to the people who need it, our platforms empower our partners to develop lifesaving drugs, forecast supply chain disruptions, locate missing children, and more.
Software Engineers at Palantir build software at scale to transform how organizations globally use data. As a Software Engineer on Developer Infrastructure, you’ll identify, develop, and drive investments to improve the velocity and quality of our engineering, as well as bolster the happiness and productivity of other developers.
The Developer Infrastructure role spans a spectrum of areas, such as build and software supply-chain systems, platform runtime environments, telemetry relating concurrency, memory/performance optimizations, and monitoring/alerting. Your primary users will be other developers at Palantir. They will be empowered with the software you develop to build capabilities used by research scientists, aerospace engineers, intelligence analysts, and economic forecasters in countries around the world. There will be opportunities to contribute to open source software, including projects maintained by others that we leverage. You’ll work autonomously within a community that will support and challenge you as you grow to become a strong technical contributor and engineering leader.
Given the push of our new AIP product, and as we expand our AI product offerings, the demand for Python expertise has grown significantly. In response, we are building a Python Development Infrastructure team that will play a crucial role in shaping Palantir's approach to Python, a language that has not been extensively used in our products before.
We're hiring engineers who are passionate about empowering developers to solve real-world problems. If you’re motivated to develop reliable, performant, scalable systems and tools, here are some examples of the types of work you’d get to do:
• Define and build standard practices for how services are operated and observed throughout their deployment
• Build libraries and tooling for defining service APIs and the RPC interactions between microservices; like the conjure ecosystem
• Help developers understand and adhere to development best practices by building great tools and development processes
• Push Palantir to the cutting edge of software supply chain security
Technologies We Use
- A variety of languages, including Python, Java, Go, and TypeScript.
- Open-source databases like Cassandra, Lucene, Elasticsearch
- Open-source libraries/frameworks like GraphQL, Undertow, Jackson, Log4j, Rattler and Conda.
- Industry-standard build tooling, including Gradle, Webpack, Hatch, CircleCI, and GitHub.
What We Value
- Growing subject matter expertise and depth of understanding of a problem space.
- Embracing, centralizing, and abstracting complexity away from our users in order to expose simple, powerful APIs.
- Ability to understand how technical decisions impact your users and a drive to super-power those people, particularly through empathy for developer/operator workflows and productivity.
- Awareness of recent industry best practices and open source advancements.
- Great problem solving skills with ability to evolve complex systems.
What We Require
- 2+ years of software engineering experience, preferably in fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Physics.
- Ability to dive into and navigate complex systems to better understand the nuances in how they work.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and work independently and make decisions with minimal direction.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Initially 3 days per week in-office
Our benefits aim to promote health and wellbeing across all areas of Palantirians’ lives. We work to continuously improve our offerings and listen to our community as we design and update them. The list below details our available benefits and some of the perks that can be enjoyed as an employee of Palantir Technologies.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life and disability coverage
- Paid leave for new parents and emergency back-up care for all parents
- Family planning support, including fertility, adoption, and surrogacy assistance
- Stipend to help with expenses that come with a new child
- Commuter benefits
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited paid time off
- 2 weeks paid time off built into the end of each year
The estimated salary range for this position is estimated to be $125,000 - $200,000/year. Total compensation for this position may also include Restricted Stock units, sign-on bonus and other potential future incentives. Further note that total compensation for this position will be determined by each individual’s relevant qualifications, work experience, skills, and other factors. This estimate excludes the value of any potential sign-on bonus; the value of any benefits offered; and the potential future value of any long-term incentives.
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the posting is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster, EEO poster supplement and Pay Transparency Notice for additional information.
Palantir is committed to making the job application process accessible to everyone. If you are living with a disability (visible or not visible) and need to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please reach out and let us know how we can help.