Payroll Reporting and Tax Manager
Accounting & Finance
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2023
A World-Changing Company
Palantir builds the world’s leading software for data-driven decisions and operations. By bringing the right data to the people who need it, our platforms empower our partners to develop lifesaving drugs, forecast supply chain disruptions, locate missing children, and more.
The Finance Team supports and empowers Palantirians through day-to-day operations and creative problem-solving. The Payroll Reporting and Tax Manager is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and compliance of all payroll-related matters, including but not limited to the reconciliation, filing, and reporting of Federal, State, and Local taxes on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. In this role, you'll work cross-functionally - designing, driving, and implementing continuous workflow and compliance improvements. If you're constantly looking for ways to challenge yourself and are outcome-driven and passionate about tax compliance, this role is for you!
- Leverage your deep understanding of in-house US payroll and accounting best practices to optimize program workflows and ensure statutory compliance.
- Manage the team and work cross-functionally to maintain accurate payroll records, including reviewing related inputs and resolving discrepancies, as well as partnering with our corporate accounting and mobility tax teams.
- Reconcile payroll tax reporting to ensure accurate deposits and filings are complete and accurate - including daily, semi-monthly, quarterly and annual tax filings.
- Lead annual and ad-hoc audits, including related to payroll taxes, equity compensation, fringe/benefit tax, and statutory audits.
- Research and resolve complex tax issues with various Federal, State, and Local tax agencies and serve as the point of contact for employee inquiries and ad hoc projects.
- Ensure operational efficiency and compliance by documenting and continuously improving procedures and workflows, including adequate internal controls.
What We Value
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management and leadership skills, with a track record of handling multiple complicated and cross-functional projects.
- Ability to solve problems, including non-traditional or undefined problems, creatively and analytically.
- Sound judgment and composure in high-pressure situations with an ability to ground decisions in data to ask and answer questions that move the business forward; demonstrate discretion and integrity in all interactions.
- Experience with Workday, Ceridian Tax, Safeguard, and/or other external payroll service providers is a plus.
What We Require
- 5+ years’ in-house US payroll and tax experience including multi-state, multi-jurisdiction, complex sourcing, and high volume. Canada/other international experience is a plus.
- Deep knowledge of full-cycle US payroll as well as an understanding of payroll and accounting standard processes.
- In-depth understanding of equity-related tax reporting (NSO, ISO, RSU, ESPP).
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills.
Our benefits aim to promote health and wellbeing across all areas of Palantirians’ lives. We work to continuously improve our offerings and listen to our community as we design and update them. The list below details our available benefits and some of the perks that can be enjoyed as an employee of Palantir Technologies.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life and disability coverage
- Paid leave for new parents and emergency back-up care for all parents
- Family planning support, including fertility, adoption, and surrogacy assistance
- Stipend to help with expenses that come with a new child
- Commuter benefits
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited paid time off
- 2 weeks paid time off built into the end of each year
The starting salary for this position is estimated to be $75,000/year. Total compensation includes approximately $10,000/year of equity compensation in the form of Restricted Stock Units, based on the recent value of the company’s stock at the time of grant. Further note that total compensation for this position will be determined by candidate’s relevant qualifications, work experience, skills, and other factors. This estimate excludes the value of any potential sign-on bonus; the value of any benefits offered; and the potential future value of any long-term incentives.
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the positing is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster, EEO poster supplement and Pay Transparency Notice for additional information.