Software Engineer - Service Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Saturday, November 5, 2022
A World-Changing Company
Palantir builds the world’s leading software for data-driven decisions and operations. By bringing the right data to the people who need it, our platforms empower our partners to develop lifesaving drugs, forecast supply chain disruptions, locate missing children, and more.
Software Engineers at Palantir build software at scale to transform how organisations use data. Our Software Engineers are involved throughout the product lifecycle, from idea generation, design, prototyping, and production delivery. You will collaborate closely with technical and non-technical counterparts to understand our customers' problems and build products that solve them. We encourage movement among teams to share context, skills, and experience, so you'll learn about many different aspects of each product. Engineers work autonomously and make decisions independently, within a community that will support and challenge you as you grow and develop, becoming a strong technical contributor and engineering leader.
Our Product Development organisation is made up of small teams of Software Engineers. Each team focuses on a specific aspect of a product. Our infrastructure teams are responsible for the lowest layers of our software stack, often focused on storage, security, search, and application infrastructure. As a Software Engineer on infrastructure, you'll contribute high-quality code to underpin Palantir Foundry and Gotham with performant, secure, and scalable building blocks, enabling products deployed to the most important institutions in the public and private sector. You'll build the foundational capabilities that power our products used by research scientists, aerospace engineers, intelligence analysts, and economic forecasters, in countries around the world.
Please note that this posting is open to all levels of experience. The team is hiring for frontend- and backend-focused engineers.
- We're hiring engineers who are passionate about solving real-world problems and empowering developers and end-users to do their work optimally. If you’re motivated to develop reliable, performant, scalable systems and design robust APIs and primitives, some examples of the types of product work you’d get to do are:
- Building performant search and indexing ecosystem for complex granularly permissioned of data.
- Designing architecture and opinionated APIs to keep application developers on the happy path.
- Tracing and performance observability in high scale distributed microservice architectures.
- Building reliant, performant, and scalable systems for storage, auth, or asset serving to enable other product teams to build robust applications without deep domain expertise in the underlying systems.
- Automating the deployment, management, and operations of complex distributed systems like Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Kafka, and more across different environments.
Technologies We Use
- Different languages, including Java and Go for backend and Typescript for frontend.
- Open-source technologies like Cassandra, Lucene, ElasticSearch, React, and Redux.
- Industry-standard build tooling, including Gradle, Webpack, and GitHub.
What We Value
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and empathise with a variety of individuals. You can iterate with users and non-technical stakeholders and understand how your technical decisions impact them.
- Ability to learn new technology and concepts, even without in-depth experience. Experience developing and managing highly-available distributed systems is beneficial but not required.
- Bias towards quality and thoughtful about edge cases (“anything that can go wrong will go wrong”); writes code that is defensive against all possibilities. Refuses to accept that things will be “probably fine.”
- Motivated by unlocking or improving user workflows while maintaining engineering quality. Seeks to centralise and abstract complexity away from our users in order to expose simple, powerful APIs for consumers.
What We Require
- Engineering background in fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Physics or similar field.
- Ability to dive into and navigate existing complex systems to better understand the nuances in how they work.
- Familiarity with data structures, storage systems, cloud infrastructure, and other technical tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the positing is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems.