Linux Engineer - US Government
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2022
A World-Changing Company
At Palantir, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.
Palantir’s impact and productivity in the US Government (USG) space depends on our ability to provide world class Information Systems (IS) to Palantirians. As a Linux Engineer you will streamline and secure our internal facing applications, storage, and physical server environment. You are an analytical thinker who enjoys troubleshooting issues and finding creative technical solutions. You will make data-driven decisions ensuring that we build systems that resolve and proactively address common issues before they impact end users. You automate yourself out of mundane tasks to focus on making a larger impact. You have strong customer service skills and a customer-driven mindset.
We are looking for people who are detail oriented, highly adaptive, and enjoy contributing to a dynamic team environment. If you love solving difficult engineering problems, pushing the boundaries of industry standards, and are passionate about redefining endpoint systems engineering, join our team. We've been waiting for you.
- Design, build, and maintain core services and infrastructure used by Palantir.
- Ensure compliance of current Information Assurance (IA) policies, concepts, and measures when designing, procuring, adopting, and developing new IS
- Configuring and maintaining services across different Linux systems.
- Automate vulnerability and security patching.
- Think about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles - and how to improve the long-term reliability and scalability of services offered to end users
- Help debug, improve, and optimize services/infrastructure.
What We Value
- Confidence in troubleshooting complex systems issues independently using observability tools and stack traces.
- Ability to identify and automate highly manual tasks, and willingness to continuously learn and drive improvements across teams
- Coding/scripting fluency in at least one language, and a commitment to automating solutions.
- Experience with information security frameworks such as device encryption, anti-virus tooling, digital certificates, security policies etc.
- Familiarity with fundamentals such as DNS, DHCP, firewall, VPN, and PKI.
- Familiarity with DISA STIGs
- Comfortable with modern configuration management tooling (Chef, Puppet, PowerShell DSC, ansible)
- Experience with VMWare, NetApp, Redhat Enterprise Linux, and Atlassian products that we support a plus.
- Active US DOD Secret or Higher Security Clearance
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the positing is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster, EEO poster supplement and Pay Transparency Notice for additional information.