VP, Deputy General Counsel, Privacy
New York, NY, USA · Remote
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2024
At Olo we develop an online food ordering platform used by many of the country's largest restaurant chains, reaching millions of consumers. Chances are if you've ordered directly from a restaurant brand's app or website, we've made that happen.
We are looking for a business-oriented privacy professional to join our Legal team as a VP, Deputy General Counsel. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will collaborate with all levels of the organization to help lead our privacy, cyber, and AI program at Olo. As a part of our team, your job is to ensure we meet our business objectives while complying with the law by thinking critically and strategically, and developing the trust of the people whose data we control. You will expand your skill set and counsel our teams on the variety of issues that arise when you're part of a small legal team at a growing company.
You can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S. or at Olo’s headquarters in NYC.
What You'll Do
- Lead Olo’s data privacy strategy to ensure the company is meeting its strategic goals
- Lead all aspects of data privacy matters and compliance including the development, implementation and oversight of data privacy policies, procedures, and compliance processes
- Advise business teams on the collection, retention, and use of customer and employee data
- Lead privacy-by-design processes and provide practical, solution-focused advice to Product and Engineering teams
- Ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable data privacy laws and regulations; perform risk assessments and internal compliance auditing
- Collaborate with key stakeholders on privacy, data protection, and data security matters, including identifying risks and developing corrective and preventive action plans
- Serve as the data privacy and security subject matter expert during the negotiation of a wide array of agreements, including commercial agreements, data protection addendums, and SaaS agreements
- Communicate effectively with data subjects, data protection authorities, and other controllers and processors
- Inform and advise Olo leadership on significant privacy developments and trends
- Develop and deliver cross-functional privacy training programs to ensure awareness and adherence to policies and regulations
- Respond to privacy incidents and privacy breaches
- Serve on cross-functional compliance-focused committees
What We'll Expect From You
- An owner’s mentality
- A good sense of humor and a team-oriented approach
- Preferably, a love of 90s music and an ability to quote movie lines
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
- 10+ years of law firm and/or in-house experience, including 3+ years working in SaaS
- 5+ years of experience in a privacy-focused role
- Deep understanding of data protection laws, requirements, and regulator expectations
- Familiarity with information technology programming and infrastructure, and information security practices and audits
- Experience implementing and scaling a data privacy program
- Outstanding writing skills with experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating complex privacy policies and addendums
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and collaboration skills, and the ability to exercise pragmatic, risk-aware judgment
- Did we mention the sense of humor?
There’s also some legal stuff:
Olo is the engine of hospitality powering the restaurant industry's digital transformation. As a leading open SaaS platform, we enable over 600 restaurant brands to jointly reach 85 million connected guests across approximately 78,000 locations. More than two million orders per day run on Olo's platform, allowing brands to maximize the convergence of digital and brick-and-mortar operations while raising the bar on hospitality. The result: brands do more with less and make every guest feel like a regular. With integrations to over 300 technology partners, our customers can build digital experiences with the largest and most flexible restaurant commerce ecosystem on the market. You have likely used Olo and not even known it! Learn more at olo.com.
We’re remote-friendly. Since 2015, we have been evolving our culture to continue to support a more distributed workforce and now over 75% of our team works remotely across the U.S. If you're in the New York City area, you can choose to work remotely or from Olo's headquarters, located in Tribeca.
We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of paid time off, 10 separate sick days, 11 holidays plus year-end closure, health, dental, and vision coverage for yourself and your family, a 401k match, remote-office stipend, company equity, a generous parental leave plan, volunteer time off, gift matching policy, and more!
Our best estimate of the compensation range for this opportunity is $199,128-$285,487 annually, depending on the experience you bring and your location. This role is also eligible for incentive compensation. We look forward to discussing your salary expectations and our full total rewards offerings throughout the interview process.
We encourage you to apply!
We value diversity. At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team makes our workplace better. Don't meet every single qualification in the job description? Market data shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace that is free from discrimination and harassment; this allows us to make better decisions and better serve the communities we’re a part of. So if you're excited about this role but your previous experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.