DevOps Engineer (UK)
Position: DevOps Engineer
Location: Norwich, UK
Employment type: FTE
DevOps Engineers within NerdWallet are the driving force behind the technical progression of our cloud infrastructure and supporting systems. In this role you will be responsible for the day-to-day running, maintenance, and enhancements of those systems.
Working as part of a small and creative team supporting NerdWallet International, you will flex your technology muscles to help the team deliver on long term strategies alongside responding to short-term change to adapt to market conditions.
We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about enabling engineering peers to deliver software with minimal constraints and is motivated to take the lead in technology choices to support our SOA plans for 2024 and beyond.
If you were here 12 months ago, here are some things you might have worked on:
- Launching multiple new product channels
- Influencing large scale migrations and technical implementations
- Growing the engineering influence across NerdWallet International and crafting our approach for future architecture
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and own the development of high-performance, secure, scalable consumer-first experiences that empowers customers to make informed financial choices
- Build out the infrastructure architecture that allows your peers to optimise frontend stack to seamlessly talk to our identity services, data layer or business partner APIs
- Architect, develop and drive improvements to our evolving tech stack and be a key driver in back-end & data development - using the tech for the task, not letting technology dictate the solution
- Implement product features that have a direct impact on user engagement and monetization
- Build strong relationships with the wider NerdWallet DevOps & SecOps network to share learnings and best practices
- Creative problem solver: Able to think around constraints
- Communication and teamwork: You are able to work effectively with technical and non-technical partners such as engineers, UX, BI & data, commercial & compliance, and business development, to build features and high quality products
- High-energy, company first, and possess a positive attitude: Being part of the Nerdy team we are committed to delivering fast, high quality code with the flexibility to adapt to change
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Strong expertise in AWS services including Lambda, ECS, CloudFront, EC2, Event Bridge, SQS, CloudWatch, SNS, and Systems Manager
- Experience working with containerisation technologies such as Docker
- Proficient in Python, especially within AWS Lambda Functions and systems development (CLI tooling)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, CDK, and Serverless
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines and tools like GitLabs, GitHub
- Additional experience which could make you a stand-out candidate:
- Working with 3rd party managed hosting providers
- Experience of migrating services across different infrastructure stacks
- This role will be based in Norwich, UK or remote (based in the UK).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- Generous Pension: NerdWallet offers up to 6% matched pension contribution
- 25 days holiday per year
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer
- Wifi stipend: NerdWallet gives every remote employee a monthly Wifi stipend
NerdWallet is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic: age; gender reassignment; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or on maternity leave; disability; race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin; religion or belief; sex; or sexual orientation. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process.