Senior Fullstack Engineer (Cards)
Do you want to be a part of a high-impact team on the largest revenue-generating vertical at NerdWallet? The Cards Team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer. On this experiment-driven team, you will work closely with the other dedicated engineers to create best-in-class user experiences designed to help our users discover the right financial solution in our mission; to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions.
The Cards Team is passionate about delivering the highest quality product possible. This is an excellent opportunity to grow your skills as a software engineer and to see the true impact that you can have on the NerdWallet business.
If you enjoy writing code, delivering value, and being engaged all day in a fast paced environment, this is the role for you. You will write a lot of code in this position and subsequently, learn a lot. You will also work with our managers and principal engineers to inform and learn architecture and design. As a senior engineer we will look to you to help bring up the quality of our deliveries and help to engage the team in leading the quality and outcomes of their work.
We are an agile team practicing sprints and indexing on continuous improvement and delivery.
Over the next 6 months, here are some things you might work on:
- Rewriting large portions of our code surface in NextJS to reduce complexity and drive velocity of our ability to deliver
- Shepherd ownership of the credit card shopping code away from shared centralized codebases so that we can practice extreme ownership in our team.
- Build experiments from our business or our team, including your own, to determine what user experience proves to be the most engaging for our customers.
- Add monetization onto pages lacking it and make changes to drive more traffic through pages.
- Optimize Core Web Vitals on our Organic SEO pages
- Instrumentation of our systems in our Observability platform DataDog
Where you can make an impact:
- Driving relevant and real revenue for Nerdwallet’s Credit Card division
- Serving as a mentor to the engineers on the team you are assigned to
- Delivering large amounts of features to live in a high quality fashion, serving as an example of what good looks like to the team
- Helping to drive our existing values as a team towards better engineering practices, strong continuous improvement thinking, and failing fast / repairing faster mentality
- Partnering with Management to continuously develop the engineering roadmap for our team
- Biased to action and are happy to iterate along the way based on what we learn. You tend to believe that time to market is more meaningful than perfection.
- Not afraid to fail. We take informed risks and chances, they often work, sometimes they don’t. You learn from those mistakes and incorporate them into how you think in the future.
- Aware that “fast” and “quality” are not mutually exclusive. We can deliver high quality, well engineered code fast. You do not cut quality first to meet timelines, you often thoughtfully try to figure out how to do both.
- Interested in being a mentor and a teacher to make those around you better. We aren’t perfect, neither are you. You believe that together we are more than the sum of our parts and you expect others to help you to grow and learn too.
- Expert in ReactJS
- Expert in TypeScript
- Strong NodeJS
- 6+ years in a professional software engineer position
- 2+ years working on a public facing website (Understanding of SEO, ADA, responsive, etc)
- Familiarity with SQL
- Familiarity GraphQL
- Familiarity with NextJS
- This is a remote position and a person can be located anywhere in Canada (with the exception of Quebec).
- NerdWallet is proud to be a remote-first company! We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Monthly Healthcare Stipend
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + You will receive the official public holidays in your province + Mental Health Days
- Pregnancy and Parental leave – NerdWallet will top up your pay so you receive 100% of your salary for 12 weeks for pregnancy leave and 12 weeks for parental leave
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
- WiFi stipend and work from home equipment stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- RRSP with a 4% match. Eligible one month after hire.