Program Manager (Data and Engineering)
As a team, Program Management functions as the connective tissue stitching together Product-Engineering-Design-Data-Marketing-Business to deliver project excellence throughout NerdWallet's ecosystem. By practice, program managers enable senior management, leaders with vision, and individual contributors to achieve predictable planning, execution, and reporting quality with expertise in project tools and best-in-class methodologies.
NerdWallet is seeking an individual with extensive experience in the classic program management paradigm of driving initiatives within the linear constraints of scope, time, cost, and quality. Beyond this core function, the key opportunity for a Program Manager is the additional complexity of working within a successful, hyper-growth company that aims to redefine the personal finance space by bringing clarity to all of life’s financial decisions. This setting requires a focused, credible individual that can influence and lend structure to an ambitious and dynamic environment.
If you were here 6 months ago, here are some things you might have worked on:
- Standing up and rolling out a new OKR process for teams using custom Jira issue types and Confluence tables for org wide visibility and transparency.
- Kicking off a large project with a new vendor by establishing key achievements, identifying dependencies and creating a strategy for regular partner communications with project leads.
- Supporting teams during a reorganization, reestablishing sprint schedules and regular team meetings, providing logistical support and scrum standard methodologies.
Where you can make an impact:
- Provide program management support for Platform, Data and/or Infrastructure teams, which are responsible for developing and maintaining the systems and internal tools that our products rely on - from our product management system to user identity systems to data integrations to notification systems to financial partner integrations and more.
- Unite diverse teams to develop, organize, and implement cross-functional plans for delivering tools, systems, and integrations that drive NerdWallet’s growth.
- Build trust and respect with technical as well as non-technical members of NerdWallet by demonstrating that you can collaborate with engineers at the technical level, while also having the ability to uplevel communications with non-technical collaborators in order to appropriately address their needs.
- Develop timelines and templates and improve processes and workflows that result in teams delivering on their committed work consistently.
- Collaborate with technology leaders to define strategic technology investments that help all of our products get better over time.
- Work closely with internal and external team members to identify, define and prioritize initiatives.
- Act as an agile coach, guiding teams towards more effective use of the scrum framework and its standard processes as defined by program management at NerdWallet.
- Be the point person for tracking and resolving cross-team dependencies.
- Own progress tracking and reporting for various workstreams. Facilitate meetings and effectively communicate project expectations and deadlines to team members and partners.
- An evangelist and architect of visible, high impact systems that manage and structure work, using both online tools and process frameworks (examples: Jira, Google Docs, Confluence).
- A chief advocate for the health and efficiency of teams, balanced in your focus of both high value outputs and outcomes.
- An Agile expert, able to provide key points of articulation for standard processes in multiple Agile approaches - from Lean to Scrum to Kanban.
- A coach and mentor to your peers, providing invaluable recommendations for management and individual contributors alike.
- Superiorly situationally aware, able to manage without authority, and possess top-notch negotiation skills.
- A creative problem solver in your approach to project logistics, communications, and dependencies with sensitivity to needs of individuals.
- Able to demonstrate your past experiences implementing various methodologies to guide projects to exceptional outcomes.
- Able to understand complex requirements and actively develop proscriptive course corrections, scaling between low level project tasks to big picture success criteria.
- Interested and enthusiastic about the consumer digital space in general and personal finance in particular.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 3+ years of technical program management experience and 5+ years of professional experience preferred.
- Hands-on software engineering or equivalent technical experience strongly preferred.
- Driving technology discussions where multiple solutions are proposed and trade-offs are considered.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $105,000-$173,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.