Communications Specialist (Contract)
NerdWallet is seeking a Communications Specialist for a part-time contract position to support our Investing, Banking, SMB and Insurance verticals. This candidate will help develop positive relationships with partners across various teams at NerdWallet, understands the media and competitive landscape, and can develop and implement media campaigns. This role reports to the Communications Manager and requires the ability to work in a team environment and be in the know of the latest newsworthy trends. This position will support the team approximately 30-40 hours/month. This role has plenty of chance to create an impact at a profitable, rapidly growing, international company.
- Understand the personal finance space in the focus areas mentioned above and identify key competitors (companies and spokespeople). Monitoring and supervising their progress against ours will help advise strategy.
- Adopt a PR playbook, but adapting it to best fit the media landscape and business goals.
- Develop all media materials needed (media lists, press releases, pitches, data studies etc.
- Collaborate with our content team to develop and implement consumer data research (studies and surveys) and provide insight on topics and trends that will help make pitching possible.
- Work with our industry spokespeople and mentor them to ensure their success and the success of other programs. Help build our spokespeople’s profiles in the media and expand their reach with additional tactics (e.g. social media, speaking events).
- Collaborate with our Content and Organic Growth team members to identify key topic areas and trends that can be demonstrated for pitching.
- Performance management - Help set quarterly goals and work efficiently to reach them, tracking links, brand mentions and share of voice using Google Sheets and TrendKite platforms.
- Provide weekly updates on coverage and performance, and add to our monthly and quarterly performance updates.
- Be a strong strategic partner and provide insight on what’s working and what’s not, how to pivot when needed to hit goals, provide competitive analysis, and find opportunities.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 3+ years experience in PR or communications (agency and/or in-house experience is preferred, specifically in personal finance).
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or a related field.
- On top of current news and events, changes in national and local media and overall financial trends.
- Entrepreneurial spirit in helping build out a new business and communications program for a company.
- Familiar with digital PR and SEO basics.
- This role will be based in New York, NY or remote (based in the U.S.).
- The hourly rate for this role is $50-$60.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Something looks off?