NerdWallet is seeking a dynamic Director of Content to lead part of the company’s 120+ editorial content team focused on personal finance. This leader will guide a team of over 40 editors and writers who are passionate about translating complicated topics into conversational and useful articles and multimedia resources that provide people with clarity and confidence to make smart money moves.
Reporting to the Vice President of Content, you will be part of a collaborative leadership team that is creatively pushing the Content function as a strategic business lever, guiding your teams to achieve business priorities and fostering an exceptional team culture. Your direct reporting teams will be responsible for content strategy across various mediums, maintaining top positions on organic search results, creating and updating rubrics and methodologies for product star ratings and ensuring high-quality editorial standards. We value things like candid and constructive communication, informed risk-taking, ownership and relentless self-improvement. We’re seeking a leader that achieves positive outcomes with an approach aligned to those values.
Playing a key role representing the Content team, our Directors build productive partnerships with senior leaders in Product, Marketing, Traffic and Business to craft and implement content growth initiatives. To drive business results, they generate strong alignment for content initiatives and support individual team member’s understanding of how their responsibilities contribute to company-wide initiatives.
This is a dynamic role requiring executive presence, critical thinking and a proven record of driving business results through content while maintaining editorial integrity. We are looking for a candidate who can identify growth opportunities through content, cultivate a vibrant team culture, develop and mentor a skilled team of editors and writers and operate nimbly in complexity and ambiguity.
Where you can make an impact:
- Encourage a growth and entrepreneurial mentality across the Content team and invest in the personal and professional growth of writers, editors and managers, including through formal and informal coaching.
- Act as a thought partner within the Content leadership team and cross-functional partners to eliminate roadblocks and prioritize highest-impact content initiatives to drive business goals.
- Partner in innovative ways with other departments on projects and initiatives that will benefit consumers and promote NerdWallet as the go-to source for personal finance.
- Cultivate a collaborative and results-oriented work environment that is motivating, rewarding, and fun for your team.
- Leverage experience with change management to empathetically lead teams through growth initiatives, implementing new ideas and other experiences typical of a growing organization as we continuously evolve in our pursuit to best serve our consumers.
- A strong people leader. You create a culture of trust and inclusivity, empowering people to achieve and grow. You take responsibility for your own actions, keep your team and others accountable for performance and courageously advocate for your team and business.
- An exceptional communicator and influencer. You can empathize with consumers, co-workers and executives, and adapt your approach and style to the situation. You are able to pose tough questions and facilitate important communications between team members. You deliver presentations with conviction and passion.
- Entrepreneurial: You love working through ambiguous challenges and are willing to take informed risks.
- Strategic. With your analytical and editorial skills, you understand business drivers and evolving trends in content, the macroeconomic markets and personal finance to identify initiatives that matter to consumers and the business.
- Results oriented and analytical: Able to identify and understand key business drivers, you set impactful goals, track progress, and hold self and team accountable for results.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 10+ years of leadership roles in media, digital content or a related field.
- Experience leading both individual contributors and other managers, with demonstrated ability in coaching and developing team members.
- Experience in personal finance and/or educating consumers on complex topics.
- A solid grounding in journalism concepts around reporting, writing and editing.
- Understanding of and/or experience with SEO best practices and creating effective content strategies.
- Experience in building relationships within a team and across departments to make a positive impact toward overall goals.
- A proven ability to proactively drive improvements in team performance and operations.
- Experience at responding to evolving business situations with a problem-solving orientation.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $164,000-$280,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Something looks off?