Position: Writer (Personal Finance)
Location: Norwich, UK or Remote (Candidates must be based in the UK)
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet, a platform that provides financial guidance to consumers and small and medium enterprises (SMEs), is looking for a Writer in the UK to cover the personal finance choices that millions of people grapple with every day.
We're seeking a writer that is adept at translating complex topics — such as loans, mortgages, banking, insurance, energy and general personal finance — into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves. They should also be able to proactively identify trends and news that will interest readers, as well as media that can link to and potentially syndicate our content.
In addition to writing compelling and informative stories, and building relationships and the brand, you also would own areas of the NerdWallet UK website, and use the standard methodologies for search optimization to ensure that those who need help can easily find it. You would measure the success of your content and build on it — all with the goal of creating the internet’s best answers for the topics you cover.
Please include links to four examples of your writing in your application. If you don't have links to share, you may include writing samples at the bottom of your cover letter.
Where you can make an impact:
- Write rigorously fact-checked stories with a strong consumer-first tone.
- Leverage insights from performance analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership and improve the user experience through new content and frequent optimizations.
- Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons.
- Help craft NerdWallet's consumer experiences, including tools.
Our content team includes writers and editors with experience in journalism, and others who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside of journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
- A strong communicator who can empathize with consumers and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Adept at prioritization and handling multiple projects at once.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you consistently deliver polished work.
- Comfortable with change and a fast-paced environment.
- Able to provide examples of how you've taken initiative and driven projects throughout your career.
- Passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Someone who works with equal passion whether you’re a project leader or team member.
- Eager to learn about new personal finance topics, develop relevant sources and communicate consumer-first advice.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Experience writing about personal finance for consumer-facing publications in the UK.
- Have a passion for helping consumers and SMEs.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices or curiosity to learn.
- Experience of writing about loans and/or mortgages is a plus.
- This role will be based in Norwich, UK or remote (based in the UK).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What We Offer:
- Generous Pension: NerdWallet offers up to 6% matched pension contribution
- 25 days holiday per year
- Wellness stipend: NerdWallet gives every employee a monthly wellness stipend. It is yours to use however you’d like
- Career enrichment stipend: We value a growth mindset, and we never stop learning Each year, you will have funds to help you grow professionally in your role at NerdWallet
- Mental health support: We take mental health seriously. To offer you mental health support, NerdWallet partners with Ginger, a chat-based mental health app. You are able to use Ginger anytime, any place
- Legal support: NerdWallet offers access to online legal support through Rocket Lawyer
- Wifi stipend: NerdWallet gives every remote employee a monthly Wifi stipend
Something looks off?