Senior, Site Reliability Engineer
A new paradigm of computing
Magic Leap is a pioneer in spatial computing, developing groundbreaking augmented reality technology that seamlessly blends digital content with the real world. As the creator of the next computing platform, our mixed reality devices unlock new possibilities for how people interact with and experience their surroundings.
Magic Leap could be your place if you want to be part of a united team where everyone is empowered and trusted to make an impact. At Magic Leap, you can explore innovative solutions and use your talents to solve real-world problems. Working alongside industry experts, you can grow your skills and amplify human potential at the intersection of the physical and digital worlds. We know that successful change and progress accelerate diverse perspectives. As we shape our future, everyone's voice matters. Together, we can reimagine the world of work and, with our bold partners, make the impossible possible.
The Product Development and Engineering job family is the core of Magic Leap’s revolutionary AR capabilities. These highly collaborative teams are responsible for our organization's engineering and technical operations, performing cutting-edge and complex scientific research and development that is 'defined as we build' to create new AR products, features, and marketplaces. Activities include undertaking research, design, development, and implementation activities to improve Magic Leap’s AR products and services; designing, constructing, testing, and operating equipment; ensuring that standards of quality, cost, safety, reliability, timeliness, and performance are met in production processes; interpreting plans, drawings, and specifications; and collaborating across all Magic Leap teams to ensure our AR product and features provide a high-quality, immersive experience, meeting and exceeding our customer’s needs and our business objectives.
As a Senior Software Engineer within our Site Reliability team, you will work to ensure the safe, swift, and reliable delivery of services to our customers. This role combines software and systems engineering to deliver highly scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant systems.
What you’ll do
- Develop solutions to increase service stability through automation and process re-engineering.
- Build and support tools and systems that the enterprise will use to deploy their software into production.
- Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art tools and techniques; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; and participating in professional organizations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and external partner teams to help design and develop software features for the Magic Leap device
- Troubleshoot, test, resolve, and deploy complex technical issues
- Establish the improvement of processes, systems or products to enhance the performance of the software development process
- Mentor and guide junior software engineers, technicians and/or interns on their technical work, and conduct regular code reviews
The experience you bring
- 5+ years of professional software development experience. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent relevant experience in an applicable field. We are most interested in your total experience and professional achievements.
- Sound fundamentals in Linux-based systems, including proficiency with commands like SSH, grep, sed, awk, find, etc.
- A solid understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, DNS, TLS, HTTP, gRPC).
- Strong knowledge of modern languages such as Go, Python, etc.
- Good understanding of shell scripting and ability to write clean, maintainable, and efficient scripts.
- Deep understanding and extensive experience working with Kubernetes in production environments.
- Experience with public cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Experience building and optimizing container images.
- Comfort with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment.
- Firm grasp of automation tools (Terraform, Gitlab CI, ArgoCD, etc.)
- Ability to remain calm and focused under the pressure of an incident.
- Practical communication skills to interact with cross-functional teams that are geographically distributed.
It’s exciting if you also have
- Good understanding of Gitlab architecture components.
- Deployed and maintained self-hosted Gitlab instance.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines
- If you need an accommodation during the application, interviewing, or hiring process, you may request an accommodation by emailing ApplicantAccommodation@magicleap.com. Magic Leap will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
- Please note that we do not accept any application documents via (e-)mail. Furthermore, we do not accept applications from recruitment agencies for this role.