If you want to be part of a united team where everyone is empowered and trusted to make an impact, then Magic Leap could be the place for you. At Magic Leap you will have the freedom to explore innovative solutions and use your talents to solve real world problems. Working alongside industry experts, here you can grow your skills and play a part in amplifying human potential at the intersection of the physical and digital worlds. We know that successful change and progress are accelerated by diverse perspectives. As we shape our future, everyone's voice matters. Together, we can reimagine the world of work and, with our bold partners, make the impossible, possible.
Magic Leap is looking for an Optical Engineer for its Boulder or Plantation Facility. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in software development with a focus of tester development as well as an understanding of optical systems and components. As an Optical Engineer, you will work with an experienced cross-functional team to develop innovative leading edge optical components and systems for AR/MR devices. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation in the interdisciplinary areas of optical analysis and testing, system fabrication, display technologies, and image processing. The candidate shall have laboratory skills and software skills to support custom test and metrology systems.
- Contribute to development of new test metrics, test stations and alignment stations for prototype components and subsystems that measure image quality, radiometric, and colorimetric quantities to assess performance.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams within Magic Leap to understand the key design parameters of their specific technology and how to properly evaluate them
- Assist in automation of image capture and processing for improved efficiency and repeatability
- Evaluate components and subsystem test results using image processing algorithms to quantify performance versus established metrics
- Strong programming skills (Python/MATLAB, C++/C# )
- Image processing and computer vision with the context of assessing display image quality and feature detection.
- Experience with image processing packages and libraries like OpenCV, Scipy, Pillow, etc.
- A background in test automation and creating custom optical test or alignment systems preferably with equipment APIs and automation.
- Experience in optical metrology methods and instrumentation including camera and imaging systems strongly preferred.
- Experience in a laboratory setting working with optical testing equipment. This includes being able to design and run experiments yourself and analyzing the results to come to a meaningful conclusion.
- Demonstrated critical analysis and problem-solving skills - analyzing and troubleshooting new optical metrology tools, running repeatability tests, and reporting summarized results using appropriate statistical analyses.
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and deliver high quality results to subject matter experts from across Magic Leap.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills necessary for inter-group and cross-departmental interactions
- 3+ years of industry or academic experience in image processing or computer vision using Matlab, Python, and/or C++
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related engineering field is required.
- MS degree in Optical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related engineering field is preferred
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.