Telecommunications Field Test Engineer
Lynk is looking for an experienced Telecommunications Field Test Engineer to support the development, fabrication, integration, and testing of our telecommunications ground and flight systems. The Lynk technical team is designing, building, integrating, and testing hardware and software in a rapid and agile manner. The immediate role of this Telecommunications Field Test Engineer will be to support testing of the payload RF and telecommunications hardware and software in the lab environment as well as out in the field. Testing and operations will require bench level knowledge of working with electronic systems, computers, hardware, and software.
We build systems fast so the perfect candidate for this role will have significant previous experience testing and operating RF and telecommunications systems particularly on rapid time lines. The right candidate will enjoy working in the lab environment and using tools and utilities like a spectrum analyzer, oscilloscope, multimeter, simulators, etc. to verify functionality and debug/troubleshoot potential hardware and software issues. They will also enjoy designing, setting up, and executing software-in-the-loop, hardware-in-the-loop, and in-the-field tests/simulations to verify technology functions (or concepts) and characterize performance. We are looking for people that enjoy a challenge and have a track record of creative thinking to solve unconventional or unexpected problems. Lynk plans to do field testing in both the local Northern VA area and in various remote test sites, travel permitting.
Because Lynk is a small company, the Telecommunications Field Test Engineer will support testing across many RF and telecommunications domains involving radio, amplifiers, filters, and antenna functionality and performance. Specific activities include:
- Integrate RF and telecommunications electronics into test beds (constructing fixtures, developing procedures, etc.) for operational verification of technologies (hardware and software).
- Obtain or develop hardware and software for RF Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) to be used to support telecommunication system verification.
- Bench level work with electronics and bit-level analysis to debug and troubleshoot issues which arise during testing (including functional and performance testing).
- Inform the design, development, and optimization of company’s testing procedures/policies for our on-going test campaign for our RF and telecommunications technology.
- Conduct and organize in-field testing efforts and plans.
- Responsible for the overall operation, maintenance, and calibration of Lynk RF and telecommunications labs
- Documentation of testing, operational procedures, and results
- A Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Telecommunications Engineering, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.
- At least five years of experience integrating and testing RF communications systems including radios, LNAs, SSPAs, filters, RF switches, and antennas.
- Experience using wireless communication test equipment (e.g., oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzer, network analyzer, signal generator, Faraday cages, screen rooms, etc.), analyzing test logs and isolating test failures.
- Recent experience setting up and testing telecommunications equipment utilizing the GSM and/or LTE protocols is desired.
- Experience writing automated scripts for executing and running telecommunications systems tests is desired.
- Knowledge of telecommunications protocols, RF communications, and multiple access methods (e.g., LTE, EDGE, GPRS, HSPA, GSM, CDMA, TDMA, FDMA, 5G, etc.) is desired.
- Knowledge of all layers (user and control plane) of cellular network infrastructure elements, including RAN and Core network signaling (e.g., HSS, HLR, VLR, AuC, MME, EPC, eNB, S-GW, P-GW, etc.) is desired.
- Working knowledge of one or more common protocols/standards (e.g., TCP/IP, SNMP, SDH/SONET, ATM, MPLS/GMPLS, Ethernet, Carrier Grade Ethernet, DSL, SS7, ISDN, Q2931, B-ISDN, X.25, 802.11, 802.16, SIP, MEGACO, MGCP, etc.) is desired.
- Understanding of software defined radio systems including Receiver architectures, Software channelization, Modulation/demodulation techniques, Spectral analysis, Error correcting codes is desired.
- Experience with telecommunications industry (3GPP protocols and networks) is a plus.
- Must be good with computers. Fluent in Linux, Windows, and Mac OSX; Very capable with Microsoft Office (Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word).