Lead Embedded Linux Engineer
Lynk is the only patented, proven, and commercially-operational satellite-direct-to-standard-phone (sat2phone) system in the world. We will enable all 8 billion people on the planet to stay connected with the existing standard phone in their pocket. Everywhere. No matter what.
By joining Lynk, you will have the opportunity to directly touch the lives of billions. Your mission will be to bring mobile broadband to billions, pull hundreds of millions out of poverty, and save countless lives.
As a Lead Embedded Linux Engineer at Lynk, you will own the design and development of a custom Linux distribution built with Yocto. You will work with a number of internal stakeholders to: derive requirements, plan and execute the development of the distribution, test the distribution on prototypes in a lab environment, deploy over-the-air updates, and eventually grow a team dedicated to this work.
We build spacecraft fast! So, the perfect candidate for this role will have significant previous experience designing, developing, and testing software on rapid timelines. We are looking for engineers that enjoy a challenge and have a track record of creative thinking to solve unconventional problems.
- Leading the development of Lynk’s custom Linux distribution
- Creating Board Support Packages for existing and new hardware
- Creating and maintaining layers and recipes
- Supporting multiple CPU architectures (ARM, x86, etc.)
- Porting the distribution to new platforms
- Creating tooling to support satellite and telecommunications software engineers
- Designing and implementing mechanisms to support OTA updates on production satellites
- Be the Linux expert (kernel, CPU-architecture, general device-drivers, etc.) on the engineering team
- Working in a small, agile team to manage the software development lifecycle (requirements definition, design, implementation, test, and verification)
- A Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Software, Electrical, Aerospace, or in a related engineering field
- 7+ years of experience building and shipping embedded Linux distributions
- Expert knowledge of C/C++, Git, and Yocto/OpenEmbedded
- Expert knowledge of embedded Linux configuration, development, board support packages, bootloaders, kernel, and drivers
- Experience with root cause analysis, and advanced troubleshooting at the kernel-level
- Experience working with common protocols such as RS-232, SPI, I2C, and CAN
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop integration and testing
- Demonstrated experience with all phases of the software development life cycle
- Great communication skills and experience working with cross-disciplinary teams
Ways to stand out:
- Experience with PREEMPT_RT
- Experience developing and testing software for SmallSats / CubeSats
- Experience using CI/CD to produce release artifacts
- Experience with Docker
- Experience creating container images from Yocto artifacts