Business Unit System Analyst
The Business Unit Systems Analyst is responsible for the maintenance and support of system rules used to drive the base functionality of our applications, troubleshooting problems/issues and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external clients. The Analyst’s primary role is to complete system maintenance updates and complete development on new, low to moderate risk automated processes supporting corporate initiatives and client requests.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE AND PRODUCTION SUPPORT
- Able to diagnose system issues and/or provide direction to Support Desk staff on which group can facilitate a solution to a particular system issue.
- Troubleshoot low complexity system issues and/or problems with limited direction.
- Document work requests per SOX requirements.
- Provide ad hoc reporting on client workflow.
- Train and provide guidance to Business Rules Analysts with less experience on basic life cycle activities.
- Manage workflow.
- Analyze existing processes or workflows of low complexity for adaptive or corrective changes.
- Display basic knowledge of fundamental project process re-engineering approaches and techniques.
- Data mapping of low complexity files and records.
- Document existing and new business processes and workflows with a low level of complexity.
- Build relationships and rapport with team members, internal customers and business partners.
- Exercise strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborate effectively with internal and external business partners during projects.
- Actively show understanding of what another says before giving own ideas.
- Provide support to clients as assigned.
- Create atmosphere conducive to success.
- Identify defective or ineffective low to moderate complexity work processes/flows within related work areas and make appropriate recommendations for improvement or efficiency gains.
- Research, report and implement temporary and long term fixes for low to moderately complex problems/issues based on documented policies, procedures and standards.
- Ability to identify priority issues and determine which issues can be handled within the authority of an Analyst versus being able to discern those issues requiring escalation.
- Determine testing requirements for low to moderately complex assigned work, based on the business requirements
- Design/Draft test plans for low to moderately complex requests.
- Execution of test plans throughout the project life cycle for low to moderately complex requests.
- Identify, research, document, report, and communicate any defects with functionality, flow and/or program changes.
- Produce agreed upon deliverables on time, within estimates and without error.
- Timely retest and document the corrections made for defects.
- Participate in interview and requirements sessions with internal business partners for low to moderately complex assignments.
- Gather, analyze/research and document business process needs for low to moderately complex requests.
- Identify impact of requested changes and communicate to appropriate channels.
- Participate as a project team member for low to moderately complex projects.
- Identify project issues, and communicate progress and obstacles to sponsors and/or management.
- Handles multiple tasks and small projects, concurrently.
- Coordinate production implementation efforts with User community and IT.
- Communicate implementation timelines and tasks.
- Post-implementation audits/reviews.
- Develop the User Documentation and Training material.
- Apply new knowledge rapidly.
- Continuously seek opportunities for professional development.
- Demonstrate quality, attentiveness and attention to detail in all work activities.
- Actively participate in knowledge exchange interdepartmentally and across teams.
WORK EXPERIENCES REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 year business analyst experience or 2 year industry experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively perform system support duties.
- Ability to quickly learn new applications and equipment.
- Ability to process low to moderately complex time sensitive data and information from multiple sources, make decisions and communicate actions.
- Experience interpreting and documenting low to moderately complex workflow processes preferred.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and work independently or as part of a project team to complete multiple tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, information technology or related field, or 4 years related work experience
- Requires knowledge or a demonstrated ability to learn a variety of applications including mainframe and Microsoft suite.
- Project Management experience and/or Green Belt Certification a plus.
ENVIRONMENT/SCOPE CONSIDERATIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must work effectively with a wide variety of company functions and individuals.
- Must perform duties under deadline pressure in a fast-paced, high volume, office work environment.
- Must take appropriate steps to ensure that access to and use of protected information is limited to that needed to adequately perform their job responsibilities and accountabilities.
- Must perform effectively when changes in priorities, direction and resources occur.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit and move from one room to another for multiple meetings.
- Understand the spoken word and respond verbally in an effective manner.
- Understand the written word, both hard copy and on-line and must be able to respond in kind.
- Must be able to operate a computer utilizing a variety of software packages.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds while moving papers or files.
- Occasional travel may be required for some projects.
- This position may come in contact with protected information on an occasional or episodic basis. The nature of this job requires they review specific protected information for the purposes of performing the accountabilities of this position.
- Build Credibility and Trust Adheres to Assurant values and high ethical standards of behavior by demonstrating respect, honesty, consistency and fairness when interacting with colleagues, customers, business partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Others Works effectively with others both within and across Assurant businesses, establishing and maintaining productive working relationships.
- Deliver Results Tenaciously works to meet or exceed expectations by keeping self and/or others focused on achieving critic al goals and outcomes.
- Analyze Problems and Make Decisions Commits to a course of action after identifying and assessing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, resources, constraints and organizational values.
- Demonstrate Resilience Reacts positively to changes and maintains poise, focus and flexibility when encountering difficulties or obstacles.
- Plan and Organize. Manages work activities to reach a desired business objective on time, within budget and according to specifications.
- Focus on Customers. Identifies and meets the needs of customers by building productive customer relationships and providing value in ways that increase customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Communicate Effectively. Expresses thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner and provides information to others in a way that considers the needs of the situation and audience.
- Technical/Professional Knowledge. Understands technical terminology and developments, and knows when and how to apply technical tools and procedure.
- Requires the ability to deal with ambiguity and the corresponding ability to quickly provide sound decisions and perform tasks with less than complete.