Employee Benefits Counsel
We all depend on healthcare throughout our lifetimes, for ourselves, and our families and friends, but it is notoriously difficult to navigate and understand. As an industry that comprises 20% of the US economy we think healthcare should work better for all of us. At Collective Health we believe it’s time for a new day in healthcare where as members we are informed and empowered to make the right care choices when the decisions are urgent and critical.
Through our third-party administration services and technology platform that empower employer self-funded health plans and their members, Collective Health is the ideal workplace for an attorney who wants to make a big impact. We seek an experienced Employee Benefits Counsel to join our team. The ideal candidate will possess a strong understanding of ERISA and other employer-sponsored group health plan laws, such as HIPAA, ACA, and CAA, as well as experience in advising businesses on plan design, risk, and claim and appeal issues. The attorney will be responsible for providing prompt, practical legal advice and support to the business, and for advising business leaders and legal colleagues on a full range of plan participant inquiries, claims, and ERISA legal matters.
What you'll do:
- Advise on legal requirements and industry best practices with respect to ERISA and other employer-sponsored group health plan laws as they relate to self-funded employee health and welfare plans. This position does not concern retirement plans.
- Advise business leaders and legal colleagues on plan participant inquiries, claims and appeals and other administrative processes governed by ERISA, commercial agreements impacted by ERISA, matters of fiduciary governance and prohibited transactions and ERISA-based disputes and litigation.
- Support other members of the legal team and compliance team.
- Select and manage outside counsel in areas of expertise.
- Remain current on evolving laws, regulations, cases, and enforcement actions and proactively apply them to improve business practices, enable business plans, and reduce risk.
- Transform complex regulations and legal matters into clear, concise advice.
- Ensure the company has the right processes and tools to scale; balancing the need for rigorous compliance with pragmatic advice.
- Prepare internal training and briefing documents, practice aids, and informational alerts, client communications, webcasts, and live or recorded presentations on ERISA health and welfare related topics.
To be successful in this role, you'll need:
- JD admitted to practice with a valid license in the U.S., and in good standing.
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years of legal experience specializing in ERISA health and welfare matters. LL.M in tax desirable.
- Law firm experience and/or DOL experience is a plus.
- Inquisitiveness with the ability to translate complex legal issues into clear, simple advice, policies, and practices for non-lawyers.
- Strategic thinker with demonstrable business acumen.
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail, and ability to manage and deliver against multiple priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Superior analytical, writing, and legal skills, with ability to take initiative and anticipate business needs.
- Strong team orientation and ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to build consensus at all levels of the company.
- Highest standards of integrity, ethics, service, discipline, responsiveness, and accountability.
- Passion for Collective Health and for its mission to make accessing healthcare as easy as using the internet.
Pay Transparency Statement
This job can be performed in a location where we have an office: San Francisco, CA, Chicago, IL, Lehi, UT, or Plano, TX, with the expectation of being in office at least two weekdays per week, or hired for remote work in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KS, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, TX, UT, WA. #LI-Remote
The actual pay rate offered within the range will depend on factors including geographic location, qualifications, experience, and internal equity. In addition to the salary, you will be eligible for stock options and benefits like health insurance, 401k, and paid time off. Learn more about our benefits at https://jobs.collectivehealth.com/#benefits.
About Collective Health
Collective Health is the leading health benefits platform that brings together medical, dental, vision, pharmacy, and program partners into an integrated solution that better enables employees and their families to understand, navigate, and pay for healthcare. By reducing the administrative lift of delivering health benefits, providing an intuitive member experience, and helping control costs and improve outcomes, the company guides employees toward healthier lives and companies toward healthier bottom lines.