Flight Simulation Engineer
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking a Flight Simulation Engineer to join the development team of the Overture supersonic airliner. You will be responsible for supporting the design of flight simulation models on the Overture supersonic airliner, working with the Overture Design group to assist in aerodynamics database design and supporting fly-by-wire control law development of the Overture aircraft.
A Typical Day Might Include:
- Working with the Overture design group (especially Stability & Control) to assess aircraft flight characteristics, and to develop a representative 6DoF flight dynamics model.
- Help define the architecture of the Flight Control Laws for Overture.
- Evaluating the performance of the Control Laws architecture.
- Creation of tools for Flight Control Laws development.
- Soliciting feedback from pilots, or other design disciplines.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering, mathematics, or physics with 5 or more years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience with simulation/analysis of ﬂight models using Matlab & Simulink.
- Strong understanding of S&C, aerodynamics, aero-elastics and aircraft loads.
- Strong understanding of electro-hydraulic flight control actuation systems.
- Effective communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communicating complex technical results to a wide audience.
- Tool automation using Python and/or Matlab.
- Experience in Flight Control Laws development on a Part 25 program.
- Experience with Pilot-in-the-loop testing at simulation and integration Labs as well as Certification Flight test environments.
- Veriﬁcation of handling qualities against Part 25 and/or MIL-STD-1797B.
- In depth knowledge of software verification and requirement guidelines (DO178/ARP4754A).
The Base Salary Range for this position is $102,000 - $138,000. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Something looks off?